Undertaking of the Windy Blue Flower

Of all my floral shots, this photo from Stanley Park has been a source of pride for a couple of years. I finally decided to paint it despite a slight feeling of intimidation due to the complexity of detail in the petals. I’m three sessions into it and so glad I took a change on this one. So far I have pleasantly surprised myself. Scroll down for my current progress.

2015/01/img_0131.jpg

I’ve been experimenting with the fun process of applying complementary colours first, then adding the actual colours over top. This takes a bit of trial and error but allowing a bit of the original layer shine through adds real impact.

There’s more work to be done but I’m enjoying the progress. Here is end of session 3:

2015/01/img_0134.jpg
End of session two:

2015/01/img_0133.jpg
And the end of session one:

2015/01/img_0132.jpg
As you can see, the changes from one session to the next are dramatic. I find this process inspiring as I apply each layer. I hope to retain generous amounts of the original colours shining through in the final stages. Stay tuned as I will post more progress soon.

Advertisements
Leave a comment

10 Comments

  1. So very, very pretty – each and every one!

    Reply
  2. I’m speechless which doesn’t often happen. It is just BEAUTIFUL. 🙂

    Reply
  3. Gorgeous!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: